NCPI Through the Years.

While NCPI wasn’t formed until 1917, it is critical in understanding the organization to know a little of the history of clay sewers in the U.S. leading up to that time.

NCPI History

1803
1815
1836
1849
1860
1865
1877
1900’s
1903
1910’s

Anson Marston joins Committee C04 on Clay Pipe and leads the development of the first C04 document (Memoranda of Recommendations for the Laying of Sewer Pipe). 

1929

Metcalf & Eddy publish American Sewerage Practice – 99.3% of the population in cities of 100,000 or more use dilution as the only “treatment” of sewage.  The remaining 0.7% of the population uses irrigation.

1930’s
1940's
1941

NCPI begins a research partnership with The Ohio State University Research Foundation (Ohio State) with research into the Improvement of Clay Pipe and Pipe Joints, Behavior of Sewer Pipe Under Load, Rotary Drying & Firing and Small Pipe Die Design

1950's

ASTM C301 (Standard Test Methods for Vitrified Clay Pipe) is published.

The research partnership with Ohio State continues with further projects on joint performance and Performance of Test Bearing, Properties of Clay Flue Liners Tamping Process for Clay Pipe Forming, The Effects of Rate of Loading on the Supporting Strength of VCP, Study of the Effects of Trench Conditions & Arch Encasement on the Load Bearing Capacity of VCP.

ASTM C425 (Specification for Vitrified Clay Pipe Joints Using Materials Having Resilient Properties) is issued.  The standard is later renamed Specification for Compression Joints for Vitrified Clay Pipe Joints and Fittings.

1960’s
1961

Study of Manning’s “n” Factor conducted

NCPI conducts proprietary research that results in significant changes to ASTM C301 Standard Test Methods for Vitrified Clay Pipe based on dramatic improvements in pipe strength.

1970’s

NCPI develops and tests the Low-Pressure Air Test.  The new standard, ASTM C828, Recommended Practice for Low-Pressure Air Test of Vitrified Clay Pipe Sewer Lines (4 – 12 in.) is published.

1980’s
1986
1990
1990's

NCPI produces a series of educational videos.  From the Earth and Back Again wins an Industrial Telly Award.

ASTM C1208, Specification for Vitrified Clay Pipe and Joints for Use in Microtunneling, Sliplining, Pipe Bursting and Tunnels was the first ASTM standard explicitly approved for trenchless installations.

2000’s
2010’s
2020’s

NCPI introduces the first Operations & Maintenance Handbook

For more information about the history and development of sewer systems through the years, visit www.sewerhistory.org